RE: Syslog

From: Darren Moffat (Darren.Moffat@eng.sun.com)
Date: 11/10/01

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 15:50:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Darren Moffat <Darren.Moffat@eng.sun.com>
Subject: RE: Syslog
To: Kevin_Butters@NAI.com

>Are there standard applications that are assigned the local numbers?
>If so what are some?

Not in Solaris and 3rd Parties are free to do what ever they wish.

There is no official registry or rules that say where things should go.

>If the application can specify the local number is it configurable?
>If so, in a simplistic way, how?

That depends on how the code is written. For example some parts of
MIT Kerberos and OpenSSH allow you to specific the syslog facility
and level in one of _their_ config files. Other apps on the other hand
just pick something and hardcode it.

What problem are you trying to solve ?

--
Darren J Moffat

Relevant Pages

  • Re: syslogd quesstion
    ... Perhaps Solaris isn't using a gnu syslogd? ... syslog differently? ... I'm an AIX admin by trade, and a Linux admin by hobby. ... >> I'm pretty sure that there is no way to set up the format without ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: syslogd quesstion
    ... Perhaps Solaris isn't using a gnu syslogd? ... syslog differently? ... Fedora Core. ... >> I'm pretty sure that there is no way to set up the format without ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Simple question on sendmail log files for Solaris 10
    ... > and warning files get stored? ... Sendmail logs to syslog, so the location of your log files is determined ... I haven't worked with Solaris 10, ...
    (comp.mail.sendmail)
  • Re: syslog
    ... Solaris box, is there any permissioning I have to setup with the syslog ... configuration to allow the cisco to syslog to my Solaris box? ... What facility does the Cisco box use? ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • WU-FTPD, Solaris 8, anon user, chroot() question
    ... WU-FTPD, Solaris 8, anon user, chrootquestion ... Running wuftpd as a standalone server ... Configured with several anon classes tied to different IPs ... --> all syslog() calls from the parent in.ftpd instance ...
    (Focus-SUN)