RE: Tripwire output on Solaris 2.7

From: Ed Arnold (era@ucar.edu)
Date: 10/16/01

Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:18:36 -0600 (MDT)
From: Ed Arnold <era@ucar.edu>
To: "McAllister, Andrew" <McAllisterA@umsystem.edu>
Subject: RE: Tripwire output on Solaris 2.7

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, McAllister, Andrew wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was only a problem with the academic (1.3)
> release of Tripwire, no? The 2.x versions encrypt and sign database files,
> report files, policy files and configuration files. Did I miss an
> announcement that the 2.x versions of Tripwire are still susceptible to
> tampering?
>
> Andrew McAllister
> University of Missouri

All the 2.x versions (current is 2.4.0) support encrypted policy
and database. So all a cracker can do is delete them ... unless
you typed your public and private passwords over a cleartext link ...

TW-1.3 can be made "pretty safe" if you put your tripwire tree on
a switchable ro/rw disk. Making most external disks switchable
is a simple hardware mod. I have a software utility for switching
between ro and rw mode while the system (solaris 7 and up) is up and
running, if anyone wants it.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Tripwire for Solaris 8
    ... Tripwire works for me on Sun Sparc Solaris 9. ... I can't remember which tripwire version is installed on my system. ... tripwire is only going to nicely compile ... from CORE IMPACT. ...
    (Focus-IDS)
  • Re: Tripwire on Solaris
    ... Solaris 10 will provide such a feature. ... > exists that the system is clean when ASET is initialized). ... > legitimate changes due to patches or packages being installed or removed. ... > Both commercial and free tripwire can also be obtained for Solaris; ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Tripwire on Solaris
    ... Solaris 10 will provide such a feature. ... > exists that the system is clean when ASET is initialized). ... > legitimate changes due to patches or packages being installed or removed. ... > Both commercial and free tripwire can also be obtained for Solaris; ...
    (comp.sys.sun.admin)
  • Re: Tripwire on Solaris
    ... >> Does the system provide mechanisms like 'Tripwire' to allow the ... Solaris has had since at least 2.4 something called ASET, ... legitimate changes due to patches or packages being installed or removed. ...