Re: read-only file systems

From: Casper Dik (Casper.Dik@Sun.COM)
Date: 09/11/01

To: Heather Flanagan <HeathFla@reciprocal.com>
Subject: Re: read-only file systems
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:03:05 +0200
From: Casper Dik <Casper.Dik@Sun.COM>

>I know /usr can be comfortably turned in to a read-only file system for
>particularly hardened systems - or at least I can't think of any reason why
>not. Can the same be done with / on Solaris 8?

Not without some extra work; while we've moved some stuff over to /var/run
and possibly more to follow, stuff like reconfigure boot and other things
don't work with a read-only root.

Sinc eyou can't downgrade a r/w root to a ro root, that means it is going
to be pretty hard to implement.

Casper

Relevant Pages

  • RE: read-only file systems