Re: read-only file systems

From: Bill Pool (locutus@icephyre.net)
Date: 09/11/01

Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:33:49 -0500 (CDT)
From: Bill Pool <locutus@icephyre.net>
To: Heather Flanagan <HeathFla@reciprocal.com>
Subject: Re: read-only file systems

Heather, the problem with creating / read only, is that /etc/ is located
on the root partition. It's very common for file in /etc/ to be changed
often by applications or the admin itself.

You can't specify /etc as it's own partition either cause when booting the
machine, it isn't able to mount the partition since that information is
needed ASAP to assign other values to the OS.

I don't believe any reason /usr couldn't be read only, unless the same
aspect with having a /usr/local/etc with configs that get changed often.

-Puddle

GPG Public ID: EE3D7A83 |
PGP6 Public ID: 065DEF8B
"Reality, is only fiction put into production"