Passwords in Solaris 8

From: Dunn, Daniel, CTR, OSD-ATL (Dan.Dunn@osd.mil)
Date: 09/07/01

From: "Dunn, Daniel, CTR, OSD-ATL" <Dan.Dunn@osd.mil>
To: "FOCUS-SUN (E-mail)" <FOCUS-SUN@SECURITYFOCUS.COM>
Subject: Passwords in Solaris 8
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 15:31:22 -0400

We are undergoing a network-wide password change for all our users, and I
came across an interesting problem in Solaris 8 and was wondering if anyone
else had encountered it. I discovered that Solaris 8 does not seem to like
special characters in passwords, particularly the + (plus sign). I have
used this character is passwords before in and prior to Solaris 7 (I
currently have a couple of Solaris 7 passwords that contain +). When I
tried to use this character in a new Solaris 8 password, I got the usual
confirmation message that the password was successfully changed, but then
was unable to log in using the new password. Before anyone asks, no, it was
not the first character of the password. Fortunately, it wasn't for root,
and our UNIX guru was able to log in as root and change it. Has anyone else
encountered this? If so, why has Sun taken out the flexibility of using
special characters in passwords? Or is this a bug they need to fix? Any
feed back would be appreciated.

TIA,

Dan

-
Daniel R. (Dan) Dunn, EE, CCSA/CCSE
Principal INFOSEC Engineer, GRC Int'l (an AT&T company)
OSD-ITD Firewall Administrator
p: 703-614-8086, ext 500
f: 703-693-3112

The opinions expressed by the author are entirely his own, and do not
reflect those of AT&T, GRCI, Inc., or their subsidiaries, nor do they
reflect policy, opinion, or endorsement by the US Department of Defense or
any of its agencies.

Relevant Pages

  • Enforcing password policy on Solaris 8/9
    ... Password Policy" on Solaris systems. ... Passwords that validate a candidate username's access to ... users, 8 characters for administrators. ...
    (comp.sys.sun.misc)
  • Enforcing password policy on Solaris 8/9
    ... Password Policy" on Solaris systems. ... Passwords that validate a candidate username's access to ... users, 8 characters for administrators. ...
    (comp.unix.admin)
  • Enforcing password policy on Solaris 8/9
    ... Password Policy" on Solaris systems. ... Passwords that validate a candidate username's access to ... users, 8 characters for administrators. ...
    (comp.security.unix)
  • Setting password policy on Solaris 8/9
    ... Password Policy" on Solaris systems. ... Passwords that validate a candidate username's access to ... users, 8 characters for administrators. ...
    (comp.sys.sun.admin)
  • Re: Password length STILL TOO Short, WHY?
    ... >versions of Solaris; this problem doesn't apply to any PAMised ... web passwords sometimes even fail if there are ... Expressed in this posting are my opinions. ... to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)