Re: tcpwrapped rpcbind/portmap?

From: Reg Quinton (
Date: 08/17/01

From: "Reg Quinton" <>
To: "Geoff Collis" <>, <>
Subject: Re: tcpwrapped rpcbind/portmap?
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:41:55 -0400

> I believe I need "rpcbind" to allow my secured host to NFS mount the NFS
> shares on my Network Appliance file servers.

You do not need to run rpcbind or any RPC services to be an NFS client. You
need to run a wack of RPC services if you're an NFS server. To prove that
I just killed off rpcbind on my Solaris 8 desktop and was still able to succesfully
do an NFS mount of one of our NetApps. I have rpcbind running but the only
service it offers up is the legato client (required to backup my machine).

If you're after *other* NFS related services (like NFS file locks, automounter,
etc.) then you may need some RPC services. But an NFS client does not need
rpcbind or any other local RPC services.

See the discussion at

I hope this helps.

Relevant Pages

  • RE: tcpwrapped rpcbind/portmap?
    ... I suspect I may need to run statd/lockd because these file systems are ... You do not need to run rpcbind or any RPC services to be an NFS client. ...
  • [GIT pull] Please pull the following NFS client updates
    ... commit f839c4c1991cc9b580ae38f98f54554938a7f49c ... Note that all the NFS operations use their own locking, ... Ditto for the rpcbind client. ... SUNRPC: Support registering IPv6 interfaces with local rpcbind daemon ...
  • Re: selinux stops nfs?
    ... Restart with "rpcbind -w" ... Now SElinux is in permissive mode. ... And restarting nfs gives the same error all over again. ...
  • [opensuse] Re: umounting stale nfs mounts
    ... with an nfs mount I could restart ... reboot the server. ... Now, however, with Suse 11.0 & 11.1, there no longer is portmap under ... But some scripts look to load portmap OR rpcbind -- and seem to give preference to ...
  • Re: IPFW / NFSD
    ... 100000 4 tcp 111 rpcbind ... 100000 4 udp 111 rpcbind ... 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs ...