RE: NFS Security Question

From: Nieusma, Jeff (nieusma@storageway.com)
Date: 08/13/01

From: "Nieusma, Jeff" <nieusma@storageway.com>
To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com
Subject: RE: NFS Security Question
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 14:31:35 -0700

One way to deal with that is don't give anyone the root password on any of
your machines. Use sudo to give people root access. Create a policy that
says people cannot become root (sudo su, sudo csh, sudo ksh, etc...) or any
other user without permission, they will be subject to disciplinary actions
up to, and including, termination. Then setup syslog on all your machines to
log to a limited access system, and review your logs.

Yes, this is a lot of steps, and some of them are political. That's
unavoidable. Anyone with root access (via the root password, or with sudo
access) will have the ability to become another user and/or access files
that they shouldn't. If you have appropriate policies in place and educate
your users about expected privacy, you have done all you can. If it's a big
problem, review the logs and find an "example" to discipline.

Good luck.

- Jeff Nieusma <nieusma@storageway.com>
  Lead Security Engineer
  StorageWay