Re: X Window over SSH

From: Darren Moffat (Darren.Moffat@eng.sun.com)
Date: 08/10/01

Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 12:44:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Darren Moffat <Darren.Moffat@eng.sun.com>
Subject: Re: X Window over SSH
To: gsaoutine@hotmail.com, rajeev@rajeevnet.com

>setenv DISPLAy yourhost:0.0 (for firt display at port 6000)
>setenv DISPLAy yourhost:0.1 (for 2nd display, at port 6001)

Not quite.

:d.s

d is the display
s is the screen

It is possible in X to have multiple screens attached to the same display.

:0.0 is the first display and first screen it is on port 6000
:0.1 is the first display and second screen it is on port 6000

:1.0 is the second display and first screen it is on port 60001

See the DISPLAY NAMES section of X(1)

Normally in Solaris if you have multiple framebuffers then they are
all setup as the same display but different screens (or if you are using
Xinerama then the same logical screen).

>Generally you know xhost command can be used on server side to control access
to your X
>server, but in general user run something like xhost + and leaving their X
server open to all.

You should use something stronger than xhost. See the GRANTING ACCESS
section of Xserver(1) and Xsecurity(7).

--
Darren J Moffat

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Who is working with the SAM9263?
    ... just to move windows, or handle overlapping windows. ... hardware to manage a display in a handheld device. ... so you can have pretty large screens without affecting the CPU ... you have up to 800 MB/s bandwidth to the memory. ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: Bitmap restore
    ... The main display? ... Now one operation is LCD test. ... predefined keys & device shall display predefined screens. ... Ya u can say its a GUI application issue. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: What does your monitor show you?
    ... calibrated with Apple's Display Calibrator Assistant. ... Imac 23 screens seem great - my wife want me to dump my PC, ... Calibration won't deal with inconsistency in the ... 24" LCD on my system running at 1920x1200, and after calibration, it ...
    (rec.photo.digital.slr-systems)
  • Re: 1920x1080 how some programs (non-menu area) fonts are displayed
    ... My original post that I was replying to (along to VanguardLH who had ... satisfactory except for its vertical resolution. ... I surmise this 1680x1050 overfilling 22"/23" screens is because of the ... actual Display Area of a 22"/23" screen, most graphics cards (I use a nVidia ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: 1920 x 1080p, the new breed of displays
    ... Both BluRay and HD-DVD are encoded at 1080p on the disk. ... input and display, but the list is short, the Westinghouse W3 37" and their ... suggest checking gaming sites to see which screens really do take a 1080p ... HDMI won't stop that. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)