Re: X Window over SSH

From: Crist J. Clark (cristjc@earthlink.net)
Date: 08/10/01

Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 22:49:17 -0700
From: "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To: Greg Saoutine <gsaoutine@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: X Window over SSH

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 03:18:38PM -0400, Greg Saoutine wrote:
> My colleague came across the following within one of Sun's Newsgroups:
>
> [snip]
> Xsun currently provides no way to disable listening for TCP connections.
> If you need to worry about keeping people from connecting to the port,
> you will need to use some sort of firewall software to block them.
> [snip]
>
> Does it mean that the only way to *effectively* pipe X via SSH port 22 is to
> set up a FW in front of the Sun box blocking port 6000? Any other
> ideas/solutions?

Huh? Putting a firewall in front of a box to block port 6000 has no
impact on tunneling X through SSH.

  • Re: ssh gives "Permission denied, please try again"
    ... port 22 on your internal machine, so you will need to keep ssh up to ... I configure the router to forward a different external port to 22 on my ... For good measure pick usernames that are none obvious, ... root/password: 163 times ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • [NEWS] SSH service at Dell DRAC4 Denial of Service (Mocana)
    ... SSH service at Dell DRAC4 Denial of Service ... Dell Remote Access Card 4 allows customers to effectively manage ... After the use of such a port scanner, ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Remote Desktop directly to another computer on the network
    ... default port... ... And there is no reason for me to believe that ssh ... When I have a multibillion company I will use the key pair, ... WinSCP for that to access my home SSH server. ...
  • Re: FTPS Server?
    ... port numbers by deep packet inspection. ... client, but the underlying SSH protocol over the network is way, way ... See the chroot configuration in the man-page for sshd_config ... recommend running a separate instance on a separate port (if firewalls ...
    (freebsd-stable)
  • Re: SSH safety
    ... SSH safety (J.L. ... FC3 missing KDE menu items ... I was wondering how safe it is to open the ssh port up to the internet. ...
    (Fedora)