X Window over SSH

From: Greg Saoutine (gsaoutine@hotmail.com)
Date: 08/08/01

From: "Greg Saoutine" <gsaoutine@hotmail.com>
To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com
Subject: X Window over SSH
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 15:18:38 -0400

My colleague came across the following within one of Sun's Newsgroups:

[snip]
Xsun currently provides no way to disable listening for TCP connections.
If you need to worry about keeping people from connecting to the port,
you will need to use some sort of firewall software to block them.
[snip]

Does it mean that the only way to *effectively* pipe X via SSH port 22 is to
set up a FW in front of the Sun box blocking port 6000? Any other
ideas/solutions?

Thank you,
Greg Saoutine

  • Re: possible problem with scp/ssh/telnet
    ... <SNIP> ... ssh and telnet use TCP so these log entries are for something else. ... DPT=Destination port. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: telnet banner
    ... > when telneting to port 22 i get a banner revealing my ssh version ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: openssh 3.4p1 issue ?
    ... > you wish to use in ssh_config for ssh 3.4. ... The 3.4 port did not do this for me. ... with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: ssh gives "Permission denied, please try again"
    ... port 22 on your internal machine, so you will need to keep ssh up to ... I configure the router to forward a different external port to 22 on my ... For good measure pick usernames that are none obvious, ... root/password: 163 times ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • [NEWS] SSH service at Dell DRAC4 Denial of Service (Mocana)
    ... SSH service at Dell DRAC4 Denial of Service ... Dell Remote Access Card 4 allows customers to effectively manage ... After the use of such a port scanner, ...
    (Securiteam)