ticlts, ticots, ticotsord ...

From: Jan-Philip Velders (jpv@jpv.xs4all.nl)
Date: 08/05/01

Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 15:10:27 +0200 (CEST)
From: Jan-Philip Velders <jpv@jpv.xs4all.nl>
To: focus-sun@securityfocus.com
Subject: ticlts, ticots, ticotsord ...

Hello,

in the midst of a major renumbering operation (3 class C reshuffles,
and one class C being split into 4 different sized parts...) we
encountered some problems with a couple of Sun's (Ultra 5, Solaris
2.6) which failed to start rpcbind at bootup in single user mode.

We traced the problems to the files:
/etc/net/ticlts/hosts
/etc/net/ticots/hosts
/etc/net/ticotsord/hosts

Which are identical and contained hostnames from way back, on
installation, when hosts had entirely different names, on a
test-network...

Now, we've read the manpages, and kinda deduced that these files are
used when only a loopback device is available (e.g. Single User
Mode)... But we're at a loss of when and how these device(s) come into
the picture and what they precisely do...

Does anybody have some info or documentation (URLs ?) on these files,
or info associated with them ?

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
J.-Ph. Velders

Relevant Pages

  • Re: ticlts, ticots, ticotsord ...
    ... >in the midst of a major renumbering operation (3 class C reshuffles, ... >2.6) which failed to start rpcbind at bootup in single user mode. ... a requirement for loopback RPC to work correctly. ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Re: ticlts, ticots, ticotsord ...
    ... > in the midst of a major renumbering operation (3 class C reshuffles, ... Whoever changed their hostnames didn't quite know what to do... ...
    (Focus-SUN)