Re: in.telnetd vulnerability??

From: Ryan Russell (ryan@securityfocus.com)
Date: 08/04/01

Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 16:18:34 -0600 (MDT)
From: Ryan Russell <ryan@securityfocus.com>
To: adam morley <adam@gmi.com>
Subject: Re: in.telnetd vulnerability??

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, adam morley wrote:

> as an admin, i dont think i would like to hide the fact that a session
> has become insecure from the user. just too worried some other admin
> would pop in and type in a root password and let it fly across the
> internet in plaintext.

You wouldn't be. People with a clue type ssh instead of telnet, and it
behaves like it should. What you would be doing is hiding the fact that
it is now sometimes secure from people who assume it is always insecure.
Dunno, it might breed bad habits. Shrug.

                                        Ryan

Relevant Pages

  • Win2k Server locked Down - real security policy - How do I unlock things?
    ... I am locked down and I dont NEED it. ... SERVER at Server Console. ... I know our old admin did this ... like USER and MACHINE Security folders. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: Remote Control
    ... you might want to look at some of the VNC based products. ... tight_vnc and ultravnc although we dont do any *real* big brother stuff. ... network as an admin computer; where I am able to control other computers, ... been able to control and view another computer using the remote assistance, ...
  • Re: Cant access encypted files / change attributes
    ... with me the users (Domain user, Domain Admin.) ... Thanks., but i am the domain uer and admin,  i dont have any user ... you dont have to select who is using it. ... If you are the owner of ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: DST 2007 Tool: Unable Open Mailbox b
    ... Dont use a pre-exsisting admin account, create a new one and put it ... exchange server and the computer you are using to do the update. ... Now add the mail account for the user you created. ... Mailboxes_1.txt so you dont have to wait so long for it to error out. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: DST 2007 Tool: Unable Open Mailbox b
    ... dont use a admin account, create a new one and put it on the ... exchange server and the computer you are using to do the update. ... will also have to add them as a local admin user on the exchange ... Mailboxes_1.txt so you dont have to wait so long for it to error out. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)