Re: in.telnetd vulnerability??

From: stephen@acgroup.ucsc.edu
Date: 08/03/01

Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 07:35:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: <stephen@acgroup.ucsc.edu>
To: Stephen J Fralich <sjfralic@ecs.syr.edu>
Subject: Re: in.telnetd vulnerability??

Well we are taking a Draconian path and telling our users that the
love affair with telnet is over. It wasn't that hard. We simply
make it sound like a better telnet that will hide all of there
sensitive information from snoopers on the net. Unless they are
really good snoopers.

Security here has become such an issue, since we have been hit
and compromised (inconvenienced) so many times that our users
jump at software that will make things a lot more secure.

Let's hope our marketing doesn't backfire... ;-)

Stephen Hauskins
Academic Computing Group
Natural Sciences Division

Omnia iam fient fieri quae posse negabam