Re: ACL question

From: Doug Hughes (doug_at_Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Date: 07/18/01

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Stu Baker wrote:

> I am trying to figure out the appropriate default ACLs for a
> directory so that when somebody creates new files/directories
> underneath that directory it will inherit the ACLs from the parent
> directory.
>
> I tried this command:
> setfacl -s u::rwx,g::rwx,o:r-x,m:rwx,d:u::rw-,d:g::rw-,d:o:r-x,d:m:rwx testdir
>
> And then issued the command giving ACLs to the particular group I
> want to have permissions (in addition to the owner and group)
>
> setfacl -m g:lms:rwx testdir
>
> However subsequent file and directories created underneath the parent
> assume the default umask of the user, they don't seem to inherit the
> ACLs of the parent directory.
>
> Is what I want to do possible? if so what am I doing wrong?

FWIW: i've seen the same behavior and haven't found a way around it.
(except when there's only one group setting g+s on the directory
to force it to that group in question helps)

        Doug

P.S. don't you really want d:u::rwx,d:g::rwx (otherwise newly
created directories might get messed up without execute permissions)

Relevant Pages

  • ACL question
    ... underneath that directory it will inherit the ACLs from the parent ... However subsequent file and directories created underneath the parent ... assume the default umask of the user, they don't seem to inherit the ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Re: ACL question
    ... >And then issued the command giving ACLs to the particular group I ... This gives the lms group rwx access to testdir and doesn't effect the ... >ACLs of the parent directory. ...
    (Focus-SUN)