Re: ACL question

From: Doug Hughes (doug_at_Eng.Auburn.EDU)
Date: 07/18/01

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Stu Baker wrote:

> I am trying to figure out the appropriate default ACLs for a
> directory so that when somebody creates new files/directories
> underneath that directory it will inherit the ACLs from the parent
> directory.
>
> I tried this command:
> setfacl -s u::rwx,g::rwx,o:r-x,m:rwx,d:u::rw-,d:g::rw-,d:o:r-x,d:m:rwx testdir
>
> And then issued the command giving ACLs to the particular group I
> want to have permissions (in addition to the owner and group)
>
> setfacl -m g:lms:rwx testdir
>
> However subsequent file and directories created underneath the parent
> assume the default umask of the user, they don't seem to inherit the
> ACLs of the parent directory.
>
> Is what I want to do possible? if so what am I doing wrong?

FWIW: i've seen the same behavior and haven't found a way around it.
(except when there's only one group setting g+s on the directory
to force it to that group in question helps)

        Doug

P.S. don't you really want d:u::rwx,d:g::rwx (otherwise newly
created directories might get messed up without execute permissions)