ACL question

From: Stu Baker (
Date: 07/18/01

I am trying to figure out the appropriate default ACLs for a
directory so that when somebody creates new files/directories
underneath that directory it will inherit the ACLs from the parent

I tried this command:
setfacl -s u::rwx,g::rwx,o:r-x,m:rwx,d:u::rw-,d:g::rw-,d:o:r-x,d:m:rwx testdir

And then issued the command giving ACLs to the particular group I
want to have permissions (in addition to the owner and group)

setfacl -m g:lms:rwx testdir

However subsequent file and directories created underneath the parent
assume the default umask of the user, they don't seem to inherit the
ACLs of the parent directory.

Is what I want to do possible? if so what am I doing wrong?

Stu Baker
"Given a choice between NT and anything else, take anything else."
   - Scott T. Swanson

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Folder/Drive Permissions
    ... applies the stored acls to files in directory. ... changes the owner of all matching names. ... the permissions replace any previously granted explicit permissions. ... - container inherit ...
  • Re: umask, =?iso-8859-1?q?=09ACL_inheritance_and_setgid_+s_not_working_with_copy?= =?iso-
    ... Is it because I copied it from a FAT file system? ... anything about Linux permissions and therefore also not about ACLs. ... it would inherit the ACL's that I set the folder to be. ...
  • Re: How to get an ACL exception report
    ... >> inherit ACLs from the parent folder. ... Yet any tool I've found lists ACLs ... >> Ken Wallewein ...
  • Re: OpenSUSE 10.2 & Samba Server - ACL inheritance not working?
    ... I've subscribed to the Samba ML and posed the same questions there. ... Unix permissions system. ... The ACLs are add-on, or so the ACL documentation on the suse website ... However, there's 2 inherit settings, one for ACLs and one ...
  • Re: How to get an ACL exception report
    ... Dumpsec is a nifty free tool and it may be able to do what you want if you ... > inherit ACLs from the parent folder. ... Yet any tool I've found lists ACLs ...