Re: Bitlocker without PIN

Blocking the SBP-2 driver to reduce 1394 DMA threats to BitLocker:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2516445/en-us?sd=rss&spid=14481

(wasn't paying attention enough to notice if that KB was already posted, if so, apologies)

On 2/25/2011 7:41 AM, Jim Harrison wrote:
..a lot more than you might think include Firewire ports - the word "commodity" comes to mind.
Even my Lenovo netbook has one and pretty much any desktop/workstation includes at least one Firewire port (they're very popular with digital musicians / producers, etc.).

The biggest problem with most M-L orgs is that they tend to standardize their hardware before anyone has done any threat modeling (assuming that happens at all).
You'd have to issue a pretty big PO before most computer mfr would be willing to tweak the hardware options that much.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Susan Bradley
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:19 PM
To: focus-ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Bitlocker without PIN

How many laptops are sold with firewire ports?

Wouldn't one mitigation technique for a prudent CTO/CIO would be to spec all laptops without that?

On 2/24/2011 1:25 PM, Thor (Hammer of God) wrote:
I assume he's talking about after you have logged on and the computer
is locked and you retrieve it from "live" memory a.k.a the memory
freezing attack. I would actually like to see that work IRL. If it
were that easy, you wouldn't need recovery agents :)