New Tech Tip: Configuring Windows 7 for a limited user

Hi folks,

Many of us playing with Windows 7 RC1, and I'd found limited guidance
on best practices for running as a limited user (in fact, I ended up
locking myself out of my own laptop). So I researched it and wrote a paper.

My paper discusses how to do this for both a new install and to retrofit
an existing user-is-admin configuration, and touches on how UAC works.
Most of this applies to Vista as well.

Unixwiz.net Tech Tip: Configuring Windows 7 for a Limited User Account
http://unixwiz.net/techtips/win7-limited-user.html

Running as a limited user is a security best practice, and it's way
easier to do on Win7 than it is on XP (which I've been doing as well).

I hope this is helpful.

Steve

--
Stephen J Friedl | Security Consultant | UNIX Wizard | 714 694-0494
steve@xxxxxxxxxxx | Orange County, CA | Microsoft MVP | unixwiz.net

Relevant Pages

  • Re: limited user login will not open Adobe Photoshop in Windows XP
    ... running it in a compatibility mode - To do this, right-click the Photoshop ... limited user which may be the source of the errors you're hitting. ... > the user is an Administrator with full user rights. ... > to be unlocked using windows explorer program menu. ...
  • Re: Automatic Updates under Limited User account
    ... > log on as Admin and manually update Windows? ... If you set Automatic Updates to notify before downloading or notify ... offered to the limited user, but as soon as an admin logs on, the AU ...
  • Re: Win XP Home shutdown problem and update issue
    ... but I do not understand why my limited user is not having ... > The cause of the problem was the AOL Internet Safety signon feature I had ... Please note that Terminal Services is required in Windows XP ... > Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter ...
  • My passwords and also my settings suddenly changed (temporarily)?
    ... limited user I suddenly began experiencing some most ... First all my Internet pages opened in new windows rather ... So I prepared to log on using my password emergency ... there was no active user with admin privileges. ...
  • Re: Programs installed in one user not available under other
    ... limited user per your setup. ... install. ... "All Users" profile that you can put icons and such into to start programs ... Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP ...