From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of dgonzalez.itpro@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:32 AM
To: focus-ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: AD Password complexity - passwords too long?

Hello list,

We have password complexities set on our domain; minimum password length
is 8 and all XP users and Windows 2003 servers.

I can set my password to 9-10 characters, but if I try to set it for 10+
characters, they get the error message that they do not meet the
complexity requirements.

I have searched Microsoft documentation, and find minimum length
requirements. I think I saw something about 28 characters, and even 127
characters.

Does anyone know if there is a max password length?

We would like to keep the minimum 8 characters, and the maximum varied
at the users discretion. Can this be done?

Thanks

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Password Complexity Requirements in Windows 2008 Environment
    ... Best Regards. ... That's the mimimum but better use at least 8 characters as a minimum. ... The mimimum characters for password complexity are 7 not 3. ... The Password Complexity Policy is enabled in Default Domain ...
  • RE: AD Password complexity - passwords too long?
    ... AD Password complexity - passwords too long? ... We have password complexities set on our domain; minimum password length is 8 and all XP users and Windows 2003 servers. ... I can set my password to 9-10 characters, but if I try to set it for 10+ characters, they get the error message that they do not meet the complexity requirements. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • RE: AD Password complexity - passwords too long?
    ... randomly generated password of 12 characters, to insure that you are not ... it is possible for a non-default password filter to be added ... to a system for password management. ... AD Password complexity - passwords too long? ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)