AD Password complexity - passwords too long?

Hello list,

We have password complexities set on our domain; minimum password length is 8 and all XP users and Windows 2003 servers.

I can set my password to 9-10 characters, but if I try to set it for 10+ characters, they get the error message that they do not meet the complexity requirements.

I have searched Microsoft documentation, and find minimum length requirements. I think I saw something about 28 characters, and even 127 characters.

Does anyone know if there is a max password length?

We would like to keep the minimum 8 characters, and the maximum varied at the users discretion. Can this be done?

Thanks