S-1-5-21...

Hey,

I have a question on something I saw on my computer today. I'm on a
Windows Vista. I was looking at some of the "properties" of some
folders in my "Public" folder and clicked on the "Security" tab. Then
I noticed my usual login user, "Everyone", and one other user, whose
id seemed to be S-1-5-21...and some numbers. Then after a couple
moments it turned into the user, "None" with (My computer name\None)
right next to it. I looked at the permissions it was given and
apparently it was given "Special Permissions." I was pretty sure I
didn't and never had created a user named "None". But I still checked
the Users folder to see if there was indeed a user named "None". There
wasn't. I even checked to see if there were any hidden users using the
"view hidden folder option", but there was no uesr by the name of
"None". I looked on google for some time but all I managed to find was
that it could possibly be a remnant from a past OS or something. But
this computer had Vista installed on it when I got it. Also, it might
be some sort of guest that was made for my computer or something. My
own speculation is that it has something to do with the fact that I
used Cygwin to open up a tarball and create this folder. Anyway, what
does this user mean? Why does it have special permissions? Is it some
sort of sign that I have a back door somewhere on my computer or that
I'm being keylogged or something? Thanks in advance.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Files and Folders
    ... I would think that one of the dozen+ date fields would allow you to sort in the preferred order. ... although the files on the CD were in Descending order, they will not appear in that order in the Folder and they are there marked as Modified on the same date. ... Windows Vista and I cannot fully apply your suggestions. ... right click on the column header and select the type of column you want. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: S-1-5-21...
    ... Those numbers are from deleted user accounts or user accounts that can't be verified with an authenticating domain controller. ... apparently it was given "Special Permissions." ... the Users folder to see if there was indeed a user named "None". ... be some sort of guest that was made for my computer or something. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: S-1-5-21...
    ... think of is that this folder was created from a tarball using Cygwin. ... system generated account. ... apparently it was given "Special Permissions." ... be some sort of guest that was made for my computer or something. ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • time to delete
    ... I have previously posted regarding the large volume of bits and pieces that are under my folder on the drive. ... All of this came about by trying to restore from a backup created from a Windows Vista Ultimate computer. ... I finally figured how to sort the files by file type. ...
  • Re: Files and Folders
    ... Have you tried to find a file in such a folder if it is not stacked in Ascending or Descanting format by which you easily recognize the file? ... To reverse the sort order, ... Windows Vista and I cannot fully apply your suggestions. ... right click on the column header and select the type of column you want. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)