From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Murda Mcloud
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 11:45 PM
To: focus-ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: default for requiring authentication 2003

I'm having a debate with someone over whether a 2003 server by default
(OOB)forces someone to authenticate(whether to a DC or to the server itself
if standalone) before allowing access to files.

He seems to think that the default is that no authentication is required and
consequently anyone could rock up and connect a laptop to a network with
that server on it and get access to files on it-as the EVERYONE group is
given read permissions to new folders etc.

I say he is wrong but am looking hard to find something to back me up.

I understand that the guest account could access files as it is part of the
EVERYONE group but it's disabled by default-but still, there is an
authentication process for guest to login

Relevant Pages

  • Windows Authentication
    ... I am trying to implement a Secure Intranet using asp.net and Windows ... authentication. ... IIS has anonymous access disabled for the site. ... Is there any way I can skip the windows logon for authenticated users on the ...
  • Re: Change in ASP.Net authentication between Win2000 and Win2003
    ... > is turning on/off Kerberos is occuring. ... It control how IE deals with "Authentication: ... when you put IIS6 in a domain and have "Integrated Windows Authentication" ...
  • Re: Change in ASP.Net authentication between Win2000 and Win2003
    ... > is turning on/off Kerberos is occuring. ... It control how IE deals with "Authentication: ... when you put IIS6 in a domain and have "Integrated Windows Authentication" ...
  • Re: Need help configuring Wireless Connection profile
    ... and I can only use the intel OR windows utility, not both at the same time. ... Windows authentication for all users,4129,LRG\ryanv,4149,Wireless WPA2 ... SMALL BUSINESS SERVER: ... STEP #1 Install Certificate Services ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: Beginners Questions
    ... We do use Windows form on the presentation layer which is on ... terminal server and call web services on the business logic side. ... of using "proxy" authentication on SQL Server. ... > I have written an app with a Windows Forms UI that is deployed to clients ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.distributed_apps)