RE: FTP on IIS

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Thor (Hammer of God)
Sent: Tuesday, 22 January 2008 5:25 AM
To: focus-ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: FTP on IIS

Indeed - I've been running 2008 for a while now. There are some very
cool security mechanisms built in - but, they will no doubt trip some
people up... (like how you can't copy content to web source directories
over the network, or how you can't directly edit web content in those
directories).

Can you elaborate on this please? There's nothing special about "web source directories" (I assume you mean folders that store files that are published via IIS 7.0 over HTTP)?

Native FTPS in 2008 IIS is quite nice, actually.

Yes - it supports FTPS so you can encrypt your username/password (or optionally, everything) - this is assuming you download/install the FTP 7.0 module from www.iis.net.

But, IIS6 is still a fine option - it is and has been secure OOB for a while

But you have to send your username/password in clear text across the network.

Cheers
Ken