From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Lucas, Mark J.
Sent: Saturday, 19 January 2008 9:21 AM
To: lauren.malhoit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; focus-ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: FTP on IIS

IIS 6, which comes with Windows Server 2003, is quite secure out of the
box. Most of the evil holes that were present in IIS 5 and earlier have
been patched. If you're forced to use IIS 5 or lower, I agree with all
the other comments. Use something else.

When you select to install IIS, the minimum components needed for static
HTML pages are already selected. For FTP, just deselect the web
components and install the minimal FTP components.

I would suggest using local GUEST accounts for authentication. I would
also suggest placing the FTP root on a separate partition with no other
files. Do not place the FTP root on the system partition.

Do a Google search on "windows ftp security" for articles on setting up
Windows 2003 FTP.