RE: Help with Exploit

Harlan, et al

To access the security regkeys in HKLM you don't need to change the ACLs.

This is an age-old (well, since early NT4 anyway) trick to get LOCALSYSTEM
privs on anything that allows you to run an AT job:

. Get the current time.
. From CMD line run "AT <time+1 minute> /interactive CMD.EXE".
. Wait for a minute.
. CMD window opens in LOCALSYSTEM context.
. Run REGEDIT from new CMD window.
. Navigate to HKLM\SECURITY.
. Marvel at now visible security keys: Cache, Policy, RXACT, SAM.

This particular trick is the basis for a deal of trivial priv escalation
attacks on windows, so if you can, you should secure the Task Scheduler with
a non-priv'ed user or disable it. Another good reason for not giving users
local admin rights.

Cheers

James

James D. Stallard, MIoD
Microsoft and Networks Infrastructure Technical Architect
Web: www.leafgrove.com
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/jamesdstallard
Skype: JamesDStallard