Re: Shared drives through a firewall

On 22 Mar 2007 14:46:17 -0000
aeheald@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

The configuration is actually:
trusted >>fw>>fw>>untrusted >>fw>>internet.

I haven't found a lot on the web that could help me
specifically, so any pointers would be useful.

They are using 137 and 139 outbound to do these connections.

Thanks for what's come forward so far!

Eigen

There are many ways of sharing drives in an ALMOST secure ways. It
very much depends on the network design.

MS even provide IPSec. Search for it on support.microsoft.com and
on the technet, there are many good articles.

I personally have used OpenVPN very successfully from openvpn.org.
It's very simple, works from behind firewalls and works well with
NAT. It's also very simple to install and configure.

The question is also what's between the computers and the remote
drives. What kind of speed? Don't forget ADSL stand for
asynchronous..., meaning the upload is significantly slower than
the download speed. So do you really need to share the drive? or
are there better ways, such as remote sync, terminal server, ...

--
Thanks
http://www.911networks.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Move Command
    ... or do you have to reinstall everything to get the pointers ... Frank Tabor ... The move command, actually moves the data from one location to another. ... With the cheapness of USB external drives, it would make more sense to ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Move Command - Change of address Uitility
    ... COA2 Utility ... everything to get the pointers changed. ... With the cheapness of USB external drives, ... Frank can speak for himself, but I doubt that he's doing it for data ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Move Command
    ... or do you have to reinstall everything to get the pointers ... The move command, actually moves the data from one location to another. ... With the cheapness of USB external drives, it would make more sense to put your data on it than to keep everything on one hard drive with 2 labels. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Move Command
    ... or do you have to reinstall everything to get the pointers ... The move command, actually moves the data from one location to another. ... With the cheapness of USB external drives, it would make more sense to ... I'm trying to do it so that the registry pointers get updated. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: Move Command
    ... or do you have to reinstall everything to get the pointers ... Frank Tabor ... The move command, actually moves the data from one location to another. ... With the cheapness of USB external drives, it would make more sense to put your data on it than to keep everything on one hard drive with 2 labels. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)