From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Murda Mcloud
Sent: Monday, 9 October 2006 8:25 AM
To: focus-ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: security implications of disabling WMI service

Hi, we have a user with a laptop whose machine has had performance issues
which we've tracked down to the WMI service. As a temporary fix I have
turned off the service and now everything works fine. It seems to be that
something when starting up is using WMI and slowing things down.

Does anyone know of a definitive list of MS security related
applications/functions that use WMI?
I know that scripts etc won't run.

  • Re: WMI CPU Utilization
    ... steps was to disable the Windows Automatic Update Service and there is no ... effect on the CPU spikes I'm seeing - I'm reasonably sure this problem is ... stopping and disabling WMI fixed the issue. ...
  • Re: Unplug USB device
    ... by unpluuging I mean disabling the device. ... the systray that handles unplugging of USB devices then (the green fellow ... > Sorry this is not possible via WMI currently, ... > mean disabling the USB device. ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.wmi)
  • Re: OT - reining in svchost on XP
    ... So now are you saying that XP stands for Extra Processes, ... object requires DCOM Server Process Launcher to be running. ... The SP2 version of WMI probably does that regarding ... Overall, after disabling 61 services, I'm not sure you are really running XP at ...
  • Re: Protocol supported by a SCSI controller
    ... Enable WMI services back in your product. ... Sorry, but the user's wish of disabling, say, WMI, or Volume Shadow Copy, ... standard Windows services from Disabled to Automatic and then starts them. ...