From: "Brad Judy" <Brad.Judy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:24:30
To:<focus-ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Whole disk encryption

Why? You only need to protect the data not the whole OS. It
causes too many problems. I don't recommend creating a
headache for yourself when you only need to protect some data.

Yes, you only need to protect data, but can you guarantee that data is
only being written to the encrypted part of the disk? If the user can
readily write to a non-encrypted space, then you've lost much of the
benefit of the encryption because if a laptop is lost/stolen you can
only say "I'm pretty sure the data was encrypted". Check with your
legal department and see how they feel about "pretty sure". :-)

Brad Judy

ITS - UCB

  • Re: Need a Full Drive Encryption program
    ... have products that can do either pre-boot authentication with full disk ... encryption or just folder encryption (they recently released V Disk that ... >> data on his and the other executives laptop safe if it is ever stolen. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Disc encryptian.
    ... Encryption is not going to protect you when the system is ... Except that many laptop users suspend or hibernate their machines ... the disk is protected; ...
    (Debian-User)
  • UPDATE; Encrypted Laptop Poses Legal Dilemma
    ... Encrypted Laptop Poses Legal Dilemma ... stymied by a password-protected encryption program. ... Now Boucher is caught in a cyber-age quandary: ... The government has appealed the ruling. ...
    (alt.true-crime)
  • Re: Whole disk encryption
    ... We're in the middle of a safeboot deployment that went through PoC ... For anyone unsure about file/directory encryption versus full-disk: ... Take your laptop with all the normal junk you can expect to have open ... It won't be long before you're ready to go full disk, ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • RE: Need a Full Drive Encryption program
    ... Need a Full Drive Encryption program ... Booting from a linux or other boot disks will defeat most setups, ... Since the BIOS controls the access to the hard drive, upon power-up, the ... > the laptop back to IBM. ...
    (Security-Basics)