From: "Brad Judy" <Brad.Judy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:24:30
To:<focus-ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Whole disk encryption

Why? You only need to protect the data not the whole OS. It
causes too many problems. I don't recommend creating a
headache for yourself when you only need to protect some data.

Yes, you only need to protect data, but can you guarantee that data is
only being written to the encrypted part of the disk? If the user can
readily write to a non-encrypted space, then you've lost much of the
benefit of the encryption because if a laptop is lost/stolen you can
only say "I'm pretty sure the data was encrypted". Check with your
legal department and see how they feel about "pretty sure". :-)

Brad Judy

ITS - UCB