Re: Whole disk encryption

guys guys guys.

file level encryption and full disc encryption are two different
beasts. Full Disc Encryption are complicated solutions, and require
thorough analysis before selecting a product.

When choosing the encryption production, you need to make sure that it
provides means for secure key recovery and backup.

Full Disc Encryption provides many benefits, some of which are as follows:
1) Everything including the swap space and the temporary files are
encrypted in Full Disc Encryption. Encrypting these files is
important, as they can reveal important confidential data.
2) With Full Disc Encryption, the decision to encrypt which files and
leave which files decrypted is not left up to the users. Everything is
encrypted by default. Thus it is user proof.
3) Data Destruction, and HDD repurposing is easier. Data Destruction
merely requires removal of the encryption key, and the all the
information stored on the HDD is rendered useless. Thus saving tens of
thousands of dollars in physical HDD destruction.
4) Support for pre-boot authentication using bio-metric or secure
tokens or smart-cards.
5) Hardware based Full Disc Encryption is fast and creates minimum
overhead. The employees have NO excuse to NOT encrypt data.

However Full Disc Encryption does NOT replace file / directory level
encryption. This is a because once the FDE drive boots up, all the
data is available in a decrypted format. So if a hacker is able to
connect to laptop over network while it is turned on, Full Disc
Encryption will not help. However if the individual files are
encrypted, the attempt to steal data over network by the hacker may be
averted.

Microsoft EFS and TrueCrypt are file/directory level encryption.

In some cases both file level encryption and full disc encryption are
needed. So first you need to get the requirements from the customer.

MS Vista will include a crude form of Full Disc Encryption by the name
of Bit Locker. It can utilize TPM. However key recovery capabilities
are limited.

Business class laptops include a Trusted Platform Module chip. TPM can
be used to seal + wrap the encryption key used for encryption. This
ties the encrypted data to a particular platform, since the each
computer has a unique TPM chip. Hardware Token (USB Key or RSA Token)
can be used to unlock the TPM, to improve the security of the system.

For full disc encryption, I would recommend that we look at
full-featured / enterprise grade products like WaveSys' Embassy Suite
or Secude.

For File/Directory encryption we should look at HP's Protect Tools or
Dell's Security Center. Both of these products come "Free" with their
business class laptops, and fully support TPM. You don't need to
purchase TrueCrypt or similar products.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions.

I would recommend performing a KT analysis of the available Full Disc
Encryption products to select one for your use. This will save you
from increase support cost later on.

I have compiled a list of full disc encryption products which is a
available at:
http://www.xml-dev.com/Full_Disc_Encryption.html

Also take a look at Seagate's FDE drives, which perform encryption
using a ASIC on the drive, thus relieving the CPU from encryption
overhead:
http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/marketing/po_momentus_5400_fde.pdf