Re: Workstation Shutdown / Logoff Policy :VSMail mx1

So, from the looks of most of the replies, folks are counting on GPO/WSUS to
enforce screenlock/updating, but rely on the end-user to restart their
systems.

Anyone actually forcing reboots?

On 8/16/06 12:18 PM, "Jamie Fullerton" <Jamie.Fullerton@xxxxxxxx> spoketh to
all:

Our current policy is that all stand-alone workstations have their
screensaver set to a 10 minute screensaver with the password required to
log back into the system. We encourage people to power off their
machines at night but we don't become the Power Gestapo in enforcing
this.

Our WSUS is configured to redeploy an update if the client is powered
down during the initial push of an update (normally an early morning
hour with little other traffic on the network).

On our Citrix clients all clients have their session terminated after
three hours of inactivity. This ensures that all clients are logged out
at the end of the business day. If for whatever reason they are not
fully logged off the servers, the Citrix servers themselves are rebooted
once a day as well.

  • Re: Workstation Shutdown / Logoff Policy :VSMail mx1
    ... I utilise WSUS for installing the updates overnight and force a reboot early mornings before users get in. ... We force all workstations and laptops to screensaver and lock after 10 minutes, drives them nuts but we have had times when it wasnt in force and they got burnt. ... On our Citrix clients all clients have their session terminated after ... the Citrix servers themselves are rebooted ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • RE: Workstation Shutdown / Logoff Policy :VSMail mx1
    ... screensaver set to a 10 minute screensaver with the password required to ... On our Citrix clients all clients have their session terminated after ... the Citrix servers themselves are rebooted ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Seti@home information leakage and remote compromise
    ... This issue affects all clients. ... Confirmed DoS-able using buffer overflow: ... "The SETI@home program is a special kind of screensaver. ... Exploitation of the bug in the server has offcourse not been tested. ...
    (NT-Bugtraq)
  • RE: Workstation Shutdown / Logoff Policy
    ... We encourage our users to log off their workstations at night -- rather ... screensaver set to a 10 minute screensaver with the password required ... We encourage people to power off their ... On our Citrix clients all clients have their session terminated after ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • [Full-Disclosure] Seti@home information leakage and remote compromise
    ... This issue affects all clients. ... Confirmed DoS-able using buffer overflow: ... "The SETI@home program is a special kind of screensaver. ... Exploitation of the bug in the server has offcourse not been tested. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)