Re: Workstation Shutdown / Logoff Policy

Hi,

if talking of windows update processes I prefer the use of WSUS and a GPO
that makes download the update as soon as approved, then roll it out (as
in: install/reboot if necessary) during the lunch break. This form of
update doesn't have a big impact on user's productivity.

As for the logoff/shutdown policies I typically run scripts that
synchronize DB's or backup utilities (that usually users do not consider
until they lose whole drives). Never had the need to use a shutdown policy
for other reasons here.

Best regards,

En3pY

kfoutts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said:
I would like to hear what other Admins / IT Managers - Directors have set
for workstation logoff and shutdown policies. Modern PCs use more power
and can handle startup and shutdown better than they used but having pcs
shutdown at night would prevent the ability to run updates when users
don't need them.

It's been my policy to have users

Lock computers when leaving for lunch

Restart when leaving for the for the day

Shutdown for the weekend.

I'm curious what others are doing.

Kirk Foutts

IS&T Manager O'Renick Companies Inc.

Sebastian -En3pY- Zdrojewski
IT Virtual Community Management
en3py@xxxxxxxx

  • Re: Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?
    ... >> You really don't want to shutdown your computer that often anyway. ... CDC 6600 and CDC 7600. ... > While powering cycling causes stress, so does leaving it on. ... > stretches would be preferable to frequent power cycling, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Is Linux really faster than MS Windows ?
    ... > You really don't want to shutdown your computer that often anyway. ... I suppose the air temperature in the case might go up a bit as the ... I think you'll get more stress from power cycling because of voltage ... so does leaving it on. ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: Workstation Shutdown / Logoff Policy
    ... Lock when leaving desk for less than 30 minutes ... Workstation Shutdown / Logoff Policy ... Modern PCs use more ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • RE: Workstation Shutdown / Logoff Policy
    ... Workstation Shutdown / Logoff Policy ... But instead of leaving the computers on to do WSUS updates, ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)