username change best practices...

Hi all,
I seem to remember being given the advice on an MS course for giving a new
user same privileges/access etc as the old user they were replacing by just
renaming the current account in AD User+Comps.

How does this affect things like profile paths on a workstation? It seems
that when I do this for instance, profile path stays as 'c:\docs and
settings\usernameold' etc but the new user, ie usernamenew, sees that 'old'
profile when logging into the machine. What are the security implications of
this if any? We don't use roaming profiles as no-one roams.

And how does this affect security issues for VB scripts that run using
parameters like SPECIAL FOLDERS (eg My Documents/desktop) etc? Is there some
accepted practice for renaming the local profile path-vis a vis security
standpoint?

  • Re: FBOFW 9/30/05
    ... profile based on personal characteristics, then just *profile*, ... than of making security measures more focused and effective. ... details assigned to watch their luggage for them. ... but I definitely hate it a lot less than exempting certain ...
    (rec.arts.comics.strips)
  • Windows logoff bug possible security vulnerability and exploit.
    ... Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 ... I believe that it is the purpose of the OS to provide the appropriate security and the purpose of a program to do it's task and not implement the security of the OS. ... The security problem I'm discussing occurs when a user profile fails to unload during logoff. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Cant create new user accounts - XP Pro SP2
    ... When logging in as the new user, XP displays an error that the profile ... following Microsoft's instructions to regenerate the security database ... Open the %SystemRoot%\Security folder, create a new folder, and ...
  • Re: Wierd Profile in Document Settings
    ... by a bug in how WMI security handles Unicode. ... the profile directory is because it's actually the SYSTEM profile. ... >files in any of the folders other than the standard generic ones created ... world's premier technical IT security event! ...
    (Incidents)
  • RE: username change best practices...
    ... I would recommend creating a new user account, ... security groups for access control, ... How does this affect things like profile paths on a workstation? ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)