RE: Impact of removing administrative rights in an enterprise running XP

While it is true that you can push out patches and software via group
policy, it's really not a valid argument because GP does not provide any
reporting mechanisms for software/patch installations whatsoever.
Without the ability to report on which workstations had successful
installations, which didn't, what circumstances caused the failures,
etc. ANY tool that pushes out software and/or patches is worthless,
especially in a large-scale environment.

That being said, there are plenty of other tools that do include varying
levels of reporting in addition to myriad other features that will
accomplish such installations like WSUS (as you pointed out), Marimba,
etc., etc.

And while it is splitting hairs, your statement "You can easily install
patches without admin rights... the key here is 'management' of a
network"
isn't necessarily accurate either. Quite often, the admin rights are
still needed in order to perform the installation. But, instead of the
user having them, WSUS, Group Policy, Shavlik, etc. have and use them
instead.