Free encryption and credential management tools for Windows

A write up covering the "Free" encryption and credential management
tools shipped with HP and Dell Laptops:
http://www.full-disc-encryption.com/biometrics_and_encryption.htm

Covers TPM, biometrics, encryption, credential management, SSO to
applications etc.

Would like to receive comments / criticism.

  • Re: Determining the encryption used
    ... The problem with trying to determine the encryption used is due to the fact ... applications continue to rise, you need to proactively protect your ... managed service or an enterprise software ... Download FREE whitepaper on how a managed service can ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: how to recover encrypted files due to a system crash
    ... But when I opened them with their own applications, ... The main solution is to import the account certificates that XP didn't require you to export when you first invoked encryption. ... The alternative solution is to use the Recovery Agent system that didn't have to be specified either. ... They didn't do anywhere near as good a job at making sure average users were protected from or even aware of its implications and the shortcomings of their model. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Crypto question
    ... >by individual applications. ... >times with the certificates from the n applications. ... >application (for which encryption has been done) then needs to be able ... >digital signatures can be applied, but that scenario doesn't work, as ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Loss of computer - how much does the password protect?
    ... I use an encryption application called TrueCrypt, you can get it at truecrypt.org. ... From the True Crypt web site, it has the following features: ... Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk. ... First, I created an encrypted virtual volume, and for the applications that have personal data I don't want compromised, I create directories in the virtual volume and edit the application preferences to store my data into these folders. ...
  • The importance of IVs
    ... Recently I looked around on then internet for freeware plain-text ... support most of the popular encryption methods. ... implementing something as simple as random data into the first block ... of text would be SOP for anyone writing one of these applications. ...
    (sci.crypt)