From: Harlan Carvey [mailto:keydet89@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 4:17 PM
To: Greg Merideth; George Njoku
Cc: Focus Microsoft
Subject: Re: Controlling specific USB devices on Windows XP

Given the recent social engineering test with USB devices
left around
a credit-unions lobby I would disagree.

That "test" is suspect, as it doesn't provide nearly enough
information. By default, Windows does not parse the "load="
or "run=" lines of an autorun.inf file from removeable media.
So, the question is, what about the "test" got the users to
run the Trojan on the USB devices?

Harlan Carvey, CISSP
"Windows Forensics and Incident Recovery"
http://www.windows-ir.com
http://windowsir.blogspot.com

-------------
-------------

  • RE: USB Device Not Recognized - If u can solve this one, you are truly
    ... I have a computer that gives the following error when I plug in some USB ... Windows does not recognize it. ... |- Unused Port ... I've removed all USB devices from device ...
  • Re: Making a USB bootdisk...
    ... U can install wine on a Linux machine and run windows exe. ... Re: Making a USB bootdisk... ... just by using dd to copy to the ISO to the disk. ... Download LiveUSB creator for Windows platform. ...
    (RedHat)
  • RE: Controlling specific USB devices on Windows XP
    ... Controlling specific USB devices on Windows XP ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Unable to type password
    ... You might have an older host that doesn't natively support legacy USB devices (keyboard and mouse). ... Although they work when Windows loads, that requires Windows to first load the USB drivers to support those devices. ... If the BIOS doesn't itself natively support legacy USB devices and if there is a problem with the USB drivers in Windows, their enumeration or setup in the registry, or with the USB controller, ports, or devices themselves, you're not going to be able to use those USB devices to login. ...
  • Re: Stop 0x000000CA
    ... Two USB hard disks of same size partitions crash the system with the blue ... Try it on your Windows XP, ... Two USB hard disks of different partition sizes, ... Are there any corresponding error reports in Event Viewer? ...