RE: Controlling specific USB devices on Windows XP

I think that we're missing something in this discussion - namely that the
usb lockdown is something that we will have no choice BUT to do - up till
now shutting down usb ports has been the easy work around - via bios, not

The problem is that many hardware vendors are moving towards usb as the be
all and end all - how many new computers are being sold with no ports other
than usb - parallel, serial, ps2 - all gone...

What about laptops where the internal connection is via usb - either for the
hard drive or the onboard cd/dvd ... Disabling the usb is no longer an

We've all got privacy legislation that we have to concern ourselves with,
not to mention corporate data - if we don't do our due diligence and
restrict the kinds of devices that can access the ports, then we have no
guarantee that info isn't leaving the company.

Roman Iwasjuk
Systems Manager
Buduchnist Credit Union Ltd