RE: Controlling specific USB devices on Windows XP

You might look at DeviceLock (www.protect-me.com). I just read a short review of it in the latest issue of Windows ITPro magazine.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken S [mailto:ken.securitylist@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:06 PM
To: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; focus-ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Controlling specific USB devices on Windows XP

I am investigating the possibility of locking down Windows computers
to only allow specific USB devices to attach. I'm considering the
mtrust product from www.m-systems.com, which the marketing materials
say can force users to only use their particular USB storage devices
(or those that they OEM to others, like Kingston, Verbatim, etc.).

Does anyone have experience with this package? If so, what are the
pros and cons?

Also, are there other solutions are out there that can ensure only
specific USB storage devices are allowed on a system?

Is there anything specific for biometric USB storage?

Any comments on the effectiveness of such software?

Thanks,

Ken S

  • Re: Making a USB bootdisk...
    ... U can install wine on a Linux machine and run windows exe. ... Re: Making a USB bootdisk... ... just by using dd to copy to the ISO to the disk. ... Download LiveUSB creator for Windows platform. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Stop 0x000000CA
    ... Two USB hard disks of same size partitions crash the system with the blue ... Try it on your Windows XP, ... Two USB hard disks of different partition sizes, ... Are there any corresponding error reports in Event Viewer? ...
  • Burning DVD problems -- System lock-up
    ... information along with a Nero text file from Nero Info ... Adapter 1 ... Ricoh 1394 Controller May Not Work with Windows XP ... Windows XP Does Not Detect Your New USB Device ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Externe Festplatte an USB 2.0
    ... > Wikipedia-Artikel zu USB verstanden habe (und aus diesem Verständnis heraus ... einige Dinge bei Windows gegen ... auch PCI hat ordentlich Bandbreite und trotzdem ... Transfer zu Massenspeichern macht. ...
    (de.comp.hardware.laufwerke.festplatten)
  • Re: Issue with mounting USB-2 flash-drives on Red Hat 6
    ... We have used USB backup for our users for years ... dos window frame on your desktop net   use   j: ... the windows title bar of the command prompt window this batch file ... for using usb flash drives was usb-storage ...
    (comp.databases.pick)