From: Ken S [mailto:ken.securitylist@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: June 13, 2006 3:06 PM
To: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; focus-ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Controlling specific USB devices on Windows XP

I am investigating the possibility of locking down Windows computers to
only allow specific USB devices to attach. I'm considering the mtrust
product from www.m-systems.com, which the marketing materials say can
force users to only use their particular USB storage devices (or those
that they OEM to others, like Kingston, Verbatim, etc.).

Does anyone have experience with this package? If so, what are the pros
and cons?

Also, are there other solutions are out there that can ensure only
specific USB storage devices are allowed on a system?

Is there anything specific for biometric USB storage?

Any comments on the effectiveness of such software?

Thanks,

Ken S

---
---

  • Re: Re[2]: Flash Drive Policy
    ... Windows Operating systems make a clear distinction between USB storage ... USB Storage devices may be disabled completely in the windows ... The 'Start' value disables/enables USB storage. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Slow USB HDD on SuSe 10.0 (and usb flash stick)
    ... the USB drive is terribly slow compared to the on board drive. ... Before this problem is definitely fixed with a patch for SUSE 10.0 ... and add the possibility to mount ALL usb storage devices without the sync option. ... I have had the problem of writing speed to usb storage devices on different computers and on different devices. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: USB Pen Drives and Linux
    ... >>FAT doesn't, though there is a space in the FAT superblock for a volume ... Most USB storage devices are shipped with FAT filesystems ... -- Paul Tomblin, in a.s.r. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: USB I/O performance
    ... This specifies the maximum size of a disk I/O operation for ... USB storage devices in units of 512 bytes, the default value being 240, ... This has been discussed in other groups, and the issue seems to be that a write to flash time is described as a constant value plus a size dependent value, and that by doing fewer and larger writes the penalty of the constant is less, since it is incurred less often. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Controlling specific USB devices on Windows XP
    ... to only allow specific USB devices to attach. ... mtrust product from www.m-systems.com, which the marketing materials ... specific USB storage devices are allowed on a system? ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)