From: Ken S [mailto:ken.securitylist@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:06 PM
To: security-basics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; focus-ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Controlling specific USB devices on Windows XP

I am investigating the possibility of locking down Windows computers to
only allow specific USB devices to attach. I'm considering the mtrust
product from www.m-systems.com, which the marketing materials say can
force users to only use their particular USB storage devices (or those
that they OEM to others, like Kingston, Verbatim, etc.).

Does anyone have experience with this package? If so, what are the pros
and cons?

Also, are there other solutions are out there that can ensure only
specific USB storage devices are allowed on a system?

Is there anything specific for biometric USB storage?

Any comments on the effectiveness of such software?

Thanks,

Ken S

---
---