RE: Windows XP Services Best Practice

-----Original Message-----
Anyone has a useful link with with information about what XP
Pro SP2 services should be "disabled" on enterprise desktops
according to "best" practice? Basically I'm looking for
something that has the service name, functionality, security
implication, and best practice recommendation. Desktop users
are only running an office suite.

I know of this website which does a decent job at explaining what each
service does:
http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm
Nothing relevant to security implications specifically, but it's a start I
guess. Point in case, there's actually few services that are vitals, and a
quite a few that are completely useless.
What would be nice is a security configuration wizard like the one found in
Windows Server 2003 SP1.

  • Re: VmWare and Pen-test Learning
    ... Learn Security Online, Inc. ... I looked at the couples of vulnerabilities and most of them I ... I think it all depends on how you practice. ... A straight-in shot to a corner pocket where your ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: home security
    ... # and practice but how does one practice for a home invasion in the dead ... security. ... True I have seen criminals take chain saws to doors, ...
    (rec.guns)
  • Re: Pen Test vs. Health Check
    ... Ehm I belive that is the common understanding of the practice as it is ... given pen-test and identify the root of those problems and not only the fact ... An experienced 'attacker' will understand this and other problems as the ... practice if thought of as part of a bigger security process. ...
    (Pen-Test)
  • Re: AES and Noise
    ... "a distinguisher can't be devised" from "a distinguisher has not ... certain agency has the knowhow to devise one but doesn't share ... security proofs. ... whole field that may be also important in practice. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • RE: network security, network in general PODcast?
    ... Cause I'm not a security expert neither and I can argu with him on the Call for help show sometime. ... Objet : Re: network security, network in general PODcast? ... practice to master. ... SensePost willl be at Black Hat Vegas in July. ...
    (Security-Basics)