Re: Patch Management on Critical Servers (Healthcare)

Some key items to remember is that testing of the patch must be done in a separate environment from production.

The test system must be at the same level as production.

Production data must not be used in testing

There must be a proper segregation of duites between those who test and those who move into production.

Chris G. Dalton C.P.A.
Corporate Audit Services
Capital One Financial
1-504-533-6419 phone
1-504-533-2355 fax

"Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]" <sbradcpa@xxxxxxxxxxx> 05/08/06 4:44 PM >>>
I'm a fan of Shavlik.... not only from the standpoint of their
product..but their 'community help' posture as well. They run the
patchmanagement.org listserve that discusses patch management platforms
and patching issues. (Check out www.patchmanagement.org)

Honestly.. it's the process of change management that is the hard part,
I think..the testing and the approval process. No matter what patch
tool you chose will have it's nuances that you get used to.

Why do I like Shavlik?

Because it just shows me the patches I need in a nice format unlike WSUS
which has a confusing UI.
Because it works.
Because it has additional features like 'reboot before patching', Office
local install source, and will patch things beyond MS in my network.

Jim Stagg wrote:

On this topic, I'd love to hear from some of the non-WSUS Microsoft server
folks are doing. I've heard a lot about BigFix, Patchlink, St. Bernard, SMS,
GFI et al. Has anyone found a product that works reliably?

--
Jim Stagg, Systems Administrator