Re: Laptop Encryption & Write Permissions

How will bitlocker (or other full drive encryption products) impact
forensics investigations AND normal administrative functions for
machines that are 1) powered down and for those that are 2) on-line?

Specifially, the main benefit I see for bitlocker is the confidence
you would have when a laptop is lost or stolen. If the entire drive
is encrypted, the chances of data compromise should be very low. This
would solve a lot of heartburn.... Plus, I understand the admin
capabilities of bitlocker will allow admins to access drives in the
event a password is forgotten, or forensics needs to be done.

However, what impact will the encryption have on tools commonly used
by network admins today? I assume if the machine is on it's "home"
network, that admins will be still be able to use tools like BindView
(which authenticates to machines to pull information), pstools, etc.,
etc. as usual. But are there other tools that the encryption would
negatively impact?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Ken

  • Re: "Access Denied" with encrypted USB device
    ... The device is a sandisk cruzer and the encryption is sanctuary from lumension. ... on the different machines. ... I am having some problems with encrypted USB devices. ... encryption software then the drives work fine. ...
  • Re: external drive help
    ... | problem around with all the thumb drives and external drives available ... You can use encryption ... |>There is no absolute security method, ... If you photocopy a paper docuement then take it ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Are computer forensics people as stupid as they seem?
    ... that overwrites an entire drive with statistically random data (and no ... where the data of each type resides, or your data is at risk. ... available on modern drives. ... consensus is that "stenographic" drive or volume encryption is mostly ...
    (alt.privacy)
  • Re: Are computer forensics people as stupid as they seem?
    ... I said it was undetectable that it was crypto. ... Sorry, but if people were going to jail for DBAN'd drives, you should ... expressed a genuine interest, instead of kicking me in the nuts. ... standard encryption accomplishes. ...
    (alt.privacy)
  • Re: external drive help
    ... The problem with crypt software as well is the big guy encrypts his ... explaining why they shouldn't take this information on portable drives ... Yes it is encryption, but I heard it was the ... Diamond CS makes some crypto software, but the passphrase is ...
    (comp.security.misc)