Re: Laptop Encryption & Write Permissions

Why not encrypt the whole disk? There are several products that allow both
what you propose and also full partition encryption
even a free one (Compusec).

Regards

I am looking into encryption for laptops. Specifically, I like the idea
of only encrypting one of two partitions (the non-OS holding partition).
This partition would hold data and programs for the user, and the
unencrypted partition would hold the OS. =20 Is it simple permissions to
force users to write data (including swap and all temporary files) to
the encrypted partition? Essentially, for the user the OS part would be
read only.

Thanks!

Casey DeBerry
CoBiz Inc
Information Security
Office 303-312-3405
Mobile 303-669-8547
cdeberry@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This e-mail contains confidential information and is intended only for the
individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you should not
immediately if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this
e-mail from your system. E-mail cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Neither the
sender nor CoBiz Inc. and its subsidiaries accept liability for any errors
or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of
e-mail transmission.

  • Strange hardware problem, any clue is welcome
    ... Therefore I shrinked the existing partition on the 500GB SATA ... there was a problem with disk I/O: ... Last week I replaced Testing by osx 10.10. ... the possiblity to enable disk encryption; what happens is that the OS ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: undo LVM
    ... I have a 1TB Data disk that is encrypted with luks and I ... On the partition screen I accidentally added the encrypted partition ... Now I have the problem how to revert the LVM part that I can decrypt ... And I don't know anything about encryption. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • [NEWS] Raidsonic NAS-4220 Crypt Disk Key Leak
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... NAS-4220-B offers disk encryption through it's web interface. ... NAS-4220 and reading the value from the unencrypted partition. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Booting a GELI encrypted hard disk
    ... a GELI encrypted hard disk, ... someone needs your data, he can dump encrypted partition, trojan your ... My knowledge of encryption at the storage level is limited at best... ... that when rebooted, does not boot (thumb drive can be removed once ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: undo LVM
    ... vgreduce command will do on my disk. ... As my main problem is the LVM and not the encryption, ... normally use this encrypted partition again. ...
    (Ubuntu)