Laptop Encryption & Write Permissions

I am looking into encryption for laptops. Specifically, I like the idea
of only encrypting one of two partitions (the non-OS holding partition).
This partition would hold data and programs for the user, and the
unencrypted partition would hold the OS. =20 Is it simple permissions to
force users to write data (including swap and all temporary files) to
the encrypted partition? Essentially, for the user the OS part would be
read only.

Thanks!

Casey DeBerry
CoBiz Inc
Information Security
Office 303-312-3405
Mobile 303-669-8547
cdeberry@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This e-mail contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Neither the sender nor CoBiz Inc. and its subsidiaries accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

  • Re: U.S. Seeks to Force Suspect to Reveal Password to Computer Files
    ... Truecrypt 5 won't include wholedisk encryption. ... here like gleaning partition information. ...
    (alt.privacy)
  • Re: Copy big folder from a NTFS partition to an external HD
    ... Do you know if it is possible, using Linux, to apply encryption or ... another security measure to the external's HD NTFS partition? ... Device mapper is quick and transparent. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: SecurStar
    ... Now it seems ScramDisk has turned into ... >own partition, since the OS is likely to be preinstalled and have funky ... There are two general classes of HD encryption worth talking ... Drivecrypt (Securstar), Truecrypt, and others make good products. ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: usb flash disk, ext3 file systems, enforcing rights, security
    ... and I've also recently lost my USB flash drive. ... What I did was wipe the partitions and create 2 new ones, one for vfat, ... vfat partition, and everything else in the protected area. ... vfat and the other "83" for use with encryption. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Current SSD setup recommendations for laptop with Debian
    ... to be important for long-term reliability (provide the controller with true ... encryption, ... Use gdisk (GPT partition table) if possible; ... If you are doing a new squeeze install, you probably want to set up the ...
    (Debian-User)