From: kathy.kirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:kathy.kirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 4:57 PM
To: focus-ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SNMP service

We could us some guidance regarding SNMP. Below is the requirements we were
given and our proposed approach. What if any issues do you see with our
approach? Have you implemented something like this in your environment, and
if so, how many devices do you have conforming to a similar requirement?

Requirements: Using one standard community name, enable SNMP read
capabilities on all devices supporting SNMP services
throughout the corporate network, while mitigating risk of
any known vulnerability.

Approach: On all supported platforms (i.e. Windows, Solaris, Linux, AIX,
etc.) configure the SNMP Service using a unique community name
with read only rights and configure the community .name to accept
packets from specified trusted hosts.

thanks,
kathy