From: Duncan [mailto:irish_celtic@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 11:20 AM
To: focus-ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: patching servers...

We're starting to use Symantec LiveState Recovery Adv.
Server. It allows you to take a snapshot in time of the server, just
prior to applying security updates and service packs. If you have VSS,
it can even backup the VSS-enabled databases without taking them
offline.
They also support V-to-P and P-to-V. Very nice for integrating with
VMWare and/or Virtual Server.

There's an online forum, www.boardfish.com, that is dedicated to
Symantec products. So, if you'll like to discuss this particular
solution more, I'd suggest starting a thread there.

Good luck

--- StefanDorn@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If you have any spare hardware for it, setting up a small test
> environment can help, especially if you are running any custom
> software on your servers. That way, you have another layer of
> protection against the
> update(s) you are installing blowing your production servers out of
> the water. The initial cost of setting up a test server should pay for

> itself shortly by saving you a few "oh, crap" moments each year.
>
> As far as testing the patches on a test system goes, you just want to
> run a server through all possible scenarios. Run everything that you
> expect to work on a regular basis, test any services that the server
> provides to end users, and so on.. checking your event log and any
> application specific logs for errors is probably the easiest route for

> that.
>
> And of course, always read release notes for any known issues or
> conflicts introduced by a patch.
>
> Stefan Dorn
>

> Murad Talukdar <talukdar_m@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote on
> 01-09-2006 11:06:22 PM:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I wanted to get a few ideas of what people do to
> test their systems once
> > they have applied a patch/hotfix.
> >
> > Currently I pull one of the hotswap drives that
> has the OS mirrored on
> it
> > and then let it run with the patch applied for a
> few days/week before
> > letting it rebuild.
> > In that time I will check things like event
> logs/performance and do some
> > general 'listening' for any issues.
> > Does anyone have a more scientific method? What do
> you keep an eye on?
> Also,
> > Do you actually ever check whether the
> vulnerability(for example) that
> the
> > patch was designed to thwart has actually been
> plugged?
> > In the last two years I've only had one instance
> of a patch causing an
> OS to
> > fail--and then just removing and then reapplying
> the patch seemed to
> work
> > just fine. However, I don't want to get
> complacent.