RE: patching servers...

I'm an advocate of standard configurations and fast patching. I've had a
server hosed by Windows Updates once, but the way it had been set up
probably didn't help things much.

I typically will patch my own workstation first (if it is a
cross-platform patch) and restart. Then I'll patch a couple
non-production servers as they aren't as important and typically have
messier configurations. If those work out then I move on to the rest of
the non-production servers, then production servers.

When it comes to domain controllers, I run dcdiag first and then
transfer any FSMO roles off the server I'm going to patch (and I never
patch more than one DC at once). After the transfer I run dcdiag again
just to be sure. Then I patch the server and if it comes back up I do
the rest of the DCs in a similar fashion.

The time I wait between servers depends on how important and complex the
patch is. For the WMF patch I wasted no time getting it on all the
servers: it's an (was? Whatever) 0-day exploit and frankly if I don't
see pretty thumbnails on my servers who cares. A service pack (important
but complicated) or Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (not
important but simple) can wait a few days.

Also if you have a test environment you should load it up with
everything you can and make some configuration changes. A fresh install
of Windows 2003 isn't a real good patch test for a heavy-duty server.

Derick Anderson