Re: Security templates and settings in Windows XP

And I'd follow the MS security templates... which are tested with their patches.

Remember the issues with 05-051 [bypass traverse] occurred because admins deviated from MS security guidance and didn't test.

Bill Busby wrote:

In setting up Windows XP and securing XP, NIST and
SANS recomend disabling QOS from XP.  I am trying to
find a registry key that for QOS so that this setting
can be checked remotely.  Does anyonw know of such a
key?

This is one of the steps towards securing Windows XP.

Thanks,

William

__________________________________ Yahoo! for Good - Make a difference this year. http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/

Letting your vendors set your risk analysis these days? http://www.threatcode.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relevant Pages

  • [NT] TOCTOU with NT System Service Hooking
    ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... restriction to registry, files, processes, etc. ... So attacker calls system service with object name for which access ... specified registry key by usual means. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Risks in Disabling Macro Security
    ... [Sorry for the slow response - I don't frequent this newsgroup much] ... The trusted location is set up by creating a registry key at the location: ... Graham Mandeno ... our company security setup rejects EMails with .mdb ...
    (microsoft.public.access.security)
  • RE: Folder Opens on Startup
    ... Thought I'd found the answer here, but that registry key, C:\Program ... Files\Microsoft Security Essentials\msseces.exe, isn't in my registry. ... Right click MSSE in the Name list and select modify. ... But if you edit that line so it has quotes around the 'PATH' only, ...
  • Re: Disabling Windows Firewall Warning
    ... > there a registry key I can change? ... I've got a hardware firewall (built into ... Security Center Notifies Me" link in the left pane. ... -- torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page Scripting Guide: ...
  • Re: registry key
    ... I found out the registry key was disabled when I ran spybot. ... you try to enable the registry key or when you try to open Security Center? ... >> See if d/loading and running this fix (provided courtesy of Kelly ... there is no requirement that MVPs have a web site or participate in newsgroups. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)