RE: ISA Server or Firewall Appliance?

From: Barrie Dempster (barrie_at_reboot-robot.net)
Date: 11/19/05

    To: "Jim Harrison (ISA)" <Jim.Harrison@microsoft.com>
    Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:20:56 +0000

    On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 11:39 -0800, Jim Harrison (ISA) wrote:
    > To tell the truth, I'm surprised at the lack of ISA / MS bashing in this
    > thread.

    I think it has been quite decent too, although it is the Focus-MS list
    so you'd expect most of the bashers to just not subscribe.

    > Is it an indication of MS' place in the general security
    > community, a general lack of interest in ISA or the holiday season
    > approaching? The world may never know...

    ISA rocks and as James has said he's a major fan of the system. There is
    no doubt that ISA is a great system and worth using in a lot of
    scenarios, I personally love it. Although I know it does have some
    failings, not to admit that would just be silly as one system can't do
    everything and do it without flaw - although ISA tries very hard at this
    and holds together quite well.

    > Following this context, we then examine the exploits and compromises
    > each firewall product *itself* has experienced; i.e, that attack that
    > succeeded in the context of the firewall code itself.
    > It's in this context where I state that ISA has experienced no reported
    > compromises.

    You don't state whether or not that is unique here though although you
    phrase it as if it is, personally I don't *believe* it is, although I
    have seen no study on this to prove it either way and haven't undertaken
    the study myself. By this I mean something properly independent, not
    vendor funded - which most research in areas like this tends to be.

    > Also, ISA (and to be fair; the aforementioned competitors) is far more
    > than a simple "firewalling stack". What separates ISA from the others
    > is the fact that ISA has and continues to "lead the pack" in L4+
    > inspection.

    Indeed, easily the strongest selling points of the system. I said it
    before, nothing comes close to ISA when you want to work with RPC.

    --
    With Regards..
    Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

    • Re: Computer arithmetic problems worth exploring
      ... towards split narrow/latency and wide/throughput datapaths, ... probably makes sense to keep scalar FP functionality on the narrow ... is it possible in context of x86 where a scalar FP ISA is ...
      (comp.arch)
    • RE: ISA Server or Firewall Appliance?
      ... I'm surprised at the lack of ISA / MS bashing in this ... Following this context, we then examine the exploits and compromises ... succeeded in the context of the firewall code itself. ... ISA Server or Firewall Appliance? ...
      (Focus-Microsoft)
    • ISA 2006 and WSUS
      ... The ISA 2006 box is running on a Celestix MSA hardware device. ... My WSUS server is not synchronizing with Microsoft Update ... We were using SSL-based OWA in context of ISA ...
      (microsoft.public.isa.configuration)
    • Re: Multicast and VPN
      ... results in the context of NLB's and ISA Arrays,...not in the context of VPN. ... I cannot prove it,...but I believe the answer is "No, it cannot do multicast ... Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server: Partners ...