RE: ISA Server or Firewall Appliance?

From: Barrie Dempster (barrie_at_reboot-robot.net)
Date: 11/16/05

    To: "Jim Harrison (ISA)" <Jim.Harrison@microsoft.com>
    Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:05:12 +0000

    On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 12:40 -0800, Jim Harrison (ISA) wrote:

    > Of the two mentioned, only CP comes near ISA's ability to inspect the
    > traffic and only ISA can handle RPC traffic without having to push the
    > openaport button.

    Would have to agree with this, if you need to use and properly control
    some sort of RPC based application then ISA all the way, the RPC
    manageability is unchallenged by any other firewall.

    Like Jim said, look at the traffic carefully and decide what you need.
    ISA and CP whilst excellent products might be overkill for your
    requirements and something smaller might be useful.

    It's worth noting that you can get ISA as an Appliance, but personally I
    generally steer clear of appliances, for the following reasons:

    Upgrade usually means entirely new box and often another software
    license.

    Patch management doesn't generally fit in with other systems, since the
    boxes usually have their own process.

    Also most of them have a very powerful operating system underneath which
    is only exposed to you via a limited interface. For example Borderware
    has an utterly useless interface but is a FreeBSD system at it's core
    and it pretty much runs on standard PC hardware (it comes with a DVD
    drive!).

    My only argument for appliances is "Nokia boxes look cool in a rack".

    --
    With Regards..
    Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

    • RE: RSoP Tool
      ... ISA Server 2004 Standard Edition RPC Filter Blocks ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: ISA 2004 - RPC Filter
      ... This update fixes some RPC issues in ISA Server 2004: ... Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: Wieviele IPs für OWA, RPCoverHTTPs und SMTP
      ... Da sowohl OWA als auch RPCoverTHHTPS als HTTPS ... Falls SSL auch zwischen ISA und IIS (OWA und RPC) laufen soll, ... der IIS ein weiteres Zertifikat, ...
      (microsoft.public.de.german.exchange2000.general)
    • Re: ISA 2004 - RPC Filter
      ... SP-1 hence my statement to install the RPC fix directly as you ... If you disable the RPC filter, ... > To narrow down the issue, I would like to check if you have made the ISA ... > this fix in ISA Server 2004 Standard Edition, ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: DC & Exchange & ISA auf einer Maschine
      ... mit MAPI zur Verfuegung stellen meinst Du, ... Eigentlich sollte jede Firewall und Billigrouter RPC blocken. ... dass Du ohne Serververoeffentlichung AFIAK keine ... Ich habe das mit reinem MAPI ueber externes Interface mit ISA noch nie ...
      (microsoft.public.de.german.isaserver)