RE: ISA Server or Firewall Appliance?

From: Thomas W Shinder (tshinder_at_tacteam.net)
Date: 11/15/05

    Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:06:24 -0600
    To: "Marcos Marrero" <mmarrero@LLOYDSTSB-USA.com>, <focus-ms@securityfocus.com>

    Actually, I'd prefer an ISA firewall appliance, esp. once with the
    Britestream SSL offload cards. Its pre-hardened based on the vendor's
    specs, and provides the security and flexibility of ISA firewalls. Check
    Point servers are good too, but you'll pay a big premium. Juniper? You
    can pass exploits through those boxes at wicked speeds, no doubt about
    it.

    But re-read what David LeBlanc has to say about system hardening, and
    think about the reasons for "hardening" the ISA firewall and what it is
    you're trying to accomplish. I've found it requires little if any
    hardening from "a thinking man's point of view", and that most hardening
    that's done is for appearances sake only.

    The real key to answering this question is:
    What are your requirements?
    What are you trying to protect?
    What level of access control to you require?
    What level of detailed reporting do you require?
    What throughput to you require?

    HTH,
    Tom

    Thomas W Shinder, M.D.